Getting married usually requires months of wedding planning, but that's not the only thing that needs your attention during an engagement. Most couples decide to honeymoon after the ceremony, and many see it as an opportunity to seek out a once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon destination they will never forget.
For some, an ideal getaway might be somewhere exotic, while for others it might be closer to home, with a focus on top US honeymoon destinations. With so many options to choose from, settling down in a honeymoon destination can be a fun and exciting journey for any couple.
The best honeymoon destinations
Jetsetters willing to travel anywhere in the world for their dream vacation will find countless romantic destinations, many of which are reputed to be among the top honeymoon destinations in the world.
Some of the most popular options are:
- Santorini, Greece– Famous for its famous Caldera cliffs, honeymooners to Santorini often choose cliff-side accommodations with private pools. Couples can not only enjoy the breathtaking views and sunsets, but also enjoy wine tasting, catamaran cruises or even cliff jumping.
- Kyoto, Japan– What better place to start a long and fulfilling marriage than amidst the peaceful energy and zen of Kyoto, Japan? Dotted with temples, gardens and shrines, honeymooners can explore their spiritual side. Top off the trip by hopping to the Okinawa Islands for some beachside relaxation.
- Banff, Canada– This small town in Canada shares its namesake with the destination where it lives –Banff National Park. Filled with natural hot springs, caves, mountain peaks and stunning glacial lakes, a visit here gives the feeling of going 'off the grid' without sacrificing little luxuries like fine dining and shopping.
- Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii, USA- It's no secret that Hawaii is frequented by honeymooners. Many opt for the islands of Maui or Oahu with views of perhaps the most romantic island of all - Kauai. This island has retained much of its natural, rugged beauty. A stay in Poipu offers couples easy access to sunny beaches as well as boutique shopping, luxury spas, world-class golf courses and a short drive to Waimea Canyon.
- Cape Town, South Africa– No culture on the planet compares to that of South Africa. There are beautiful beaches, unique cuisine, stunning gardens and a thriving wine scene. No trip is complete without a visit to Table Mountain, which couples can hike to or take the more relaxing cable cars.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates– Honeymooners looking to the Middle East for their trip should not overlook the bustling city of Dubai. Known for its luxury, this destination offers the most shopping and dining options, as well as beautiful architecture and adventures in the nearby desert and beaches.
- Queenstown, Neuseeland– Queenstown is an adventurous couple’s dream, no matter what time of year you visit. Winter offers snowy mountain hikes with skiing, snowboarding and other winter sports galore. In the warmer months, honeymooners can opt for valley wine tasting, fine dining, or bungie jumping or canyon swinging.
- Hope, Fiji– Located on the main island in Fiji, this community offers a tranquil atmosphere, golf, hiking and beautiful scenery. Its quaint over-the-water bungalows are perched above the clear and calm waters of the Pacific Ocean, making it one of the top honeymoon destinations in the world.
The best honeymoon destinations in Europe
The best honeymoon destinations in Europe are the places that are romanticized for their food, historical relevance and culture. Europe has an old-world charm that appeals to couples looking to lose themselves in another era.
Some of the most romantic places in Europe for a honeymoon include:
- Paris, France– Paris is the epitome of romance and offers the classic honeymoon experience, from fine dining and cobblestone streets to glitz and glamoreiffel tower.
- Rome, Italy– Couples are transported through many centuries of world history in a millennia-old city. Honeymooners can visitVatican, see the famous Colosseum and toss a coin in the famous Trevi Fountain to ensure your future return to the ancient city.
- Liscannor, Ireland– Couples traveling to Ireland may want to find a bed and breakfast in Liscannor that offers easy access to the nearby Cliffs of Moher. Hire a car and head off to explore medieval castles and find a cold draft beer in a classic Irish pub.
- Venice, Italy- The underwater city is unlike any other in the world. Venice requires its visitors to reach various areas of the city by water taxi - including the famous romantic singing gondoliers. No wonder it's still one of the best honeymoon destinations in 2022.
- Stockholm, Sweden– Stockholm is also one of the best honeymoon destinations in Europe for 2022, upscale and chic. Couples can venture into the old town, dine by the water, catch a show, catch the opera and visit the famousWikingermuseum.
Best Honeymoon Destinations 2022 in USA
With so many different climates, topographies, and cultures, there are many reasons why some honeymooners choose to honeymoon in the United States.
- Sandpiper Bay, Florida- While there aren't many options for affordable all-inclusive honeymoon packages in the US, Club Med in Sandpiper Bay, Florida has you covered. A stay here means everything is included, from your accommodation to your meals and activities.
- Tucson, Arizona- Honeymooners seeking off-the-beaten-path honeymoon destinations in the United States can enjoy the stunning beauty of the Painted Desert when staying in Tucson. Visitors should also venture to the Grand Canyon and consider a stay at one of Arizona's spa resorts for ultimate relaxation.
- Charleston, South Carolina- Visit this East Coast city for its Southern hospitality and charm, as well as its history, cobblestone streets and famous fine restaurants.
- San Francisco, California– The steep hills, unique architecture and famous sights of San Francisco offer endless fun for honeymooners. San Francisco is one of the top US honeymoon destinations for its myriad natural and man-made attractions, including Fisherman's Wharf, the historic cable cars, Union Square and the Golden Gate Bridge. Be sure to allow time to cruise across the bayRedwood Nationalforst, the Marin Headlands, the artists' village of Sausalito, or even a few days in Napa Valley orYosemite Nationalpark.
- Key West, Florida– Key West is the southernmost point of the continental United States and has a unique and eclectic island vibe. Couples can explore and compare the island's famous flavors on foot, from conch fritters to key lime pie.
Best Honeymoon Destinations on a Budget
Traveling on a budget doesn't have to detract from the quality of a honeymoon. Many destinations are affordable to get to, especially if couples are willing to travel in the off-season.
Some of the best honeymoon destinations on a budget include:
- Cancun, Mexico- With countless all-inclusive resorts, this is an affordable beach honeymoon destination that's easy to reach with a short flight from the US. Relax on the beach or take a day trip to the ancient Mayan ruins.
- San Antonio, Texas- This Texas city has many attractions that are free to enjoy. Perhaps the most romantic is downtown's River Walk, filled with shopping and cultural experiences. Enjoy walking, dining and exploring the city and take a trip to the famous Alamo.
- Denver, Colorado– Another of the top US honeymoon destinations on a budget is Denver. This city is known for its vibrant culture, including countless local breweries. Rent a car and head to the Rocky Mountains for fly fishing or snow tubing.
- Destin, Florida– Located on Florida's Emerald Coast, Destin offers beautiful sand and water with plenty of affordable dining and lodging. Crab Island is one of the top attractions in the area, popular with locals and tourists alike.
- From Vegas, Nevada- In Las Vegas, visitors can find bargains in hotel rooms and restaurants along the famous neon-filled Strip and downtown. Stroll the Strip during the day, catch a great-value show, and check out the free attractions like the famous Bellagio fountains.
Unique honeymoon destinations
There are endless opportunities for unique honeymoon destinations. From unique honeymoon destinations in the USA to unique honeymoon destinations in Europe, don't be afraid to think outside the box.
- Portland, Oregon, USA– Known for its art and unique personality, Portland is an unusual honeymoon destination with plenty to do. Enjoy the food, visit some galleries or head west to the coast for some deep sea fishing or whale watching.
- Munich, Germany– Visiting Munich at the right time of year could mean visiting world-renowned events like the German Christmas markets and Oktoberfest.
- Branson, Missouri, USA- Catch a show, enjoy an evening dinner cruise or even visit Silver Dollar City for affordable but unique thrills.
- Masai Mara, Kenya– Few things are more unique than a honeymoon taking you on an authentic African safari. The Masai Mara is a top African safari destination for adventurous honeymooners.
- Austin, Texas, USA- "Stay Weird" in Austin featuring hill country hikes, outdoor concerts and fun nights on downtown's famous Sixth Street.
If you are looking for all inclusive, the choice is yours. Some all inclusive honeymoon packages for 2022 include:
- Jamaica– Known for affordable all-inclusive honeymoon packages, resorts in Jamaica stretch from Montego Bay to the famed beaches of Negril. CashExcellency Oyster Bayor only for couplesMysteries of St. James.
- St. Lucia- Unlike other Caribbean islands, St. Lucia offers all-inclusive resorts overlooking the Piton Mountains and the sea. considerJade Mountain Resort, with its all-inclusive diving and adventure honeymoon packages.
- Maui- While not often associated with all-inclusive resorts, it's possible to find feature-packed honeymoon packages in Maui. atHyatt Regency Maui, Club Level guests enjoy accommodations, a breakfast buffet, snacks and resort activities.
- Florida–Die Bungalows Key Largoare a rare all-inclusive in the US. Stay in a quaint cottage and enjoy the boutique atmosphere and fine dining at this romantic resort.
- Europa– It is possible to find luxury honeymoon packages in Europe. You can opt for a club-level stay at a resort, or treat yourself to a semi-private guided tour from a company likeTrafalgarThis includes airport pickup/drop-off, accommodation, sightseeing and most or all meals during the trip.